If you are someone who loves flaunting thick and fluttery eyelashes, you would know the value of eyelash extensions.
However investing in extensions is only half the battle won; you must take care of them to ensure they last longer.
In this article we have put together the ultimate guide on eyelash extension aftercare to help you keep your lashes looking their best.
Why is Aftercare Important?
Aftercare for your eyelash extensions is critical for maintaining their appearance, preventing damage and reducing the risk of infection. When you have eyelash extensions, your natural lashes are bonded to the extensions using a special adhesive. This adhesive can weaken over time due to factors such as oil build-up, water exposure, and friction from rubbing your eyes.
Without proper aftercare, your lash extensions can become tangled, cause damage to your natural lashes or even fall out. Neglecting your eyelash extensions can increase the risk of eye infections, allergic reactions and conditions such as conjunctivitis; which can cause swelling, pain and even vision loss in severe cases!
You can extend the longevity of your lash extensions by looking after them and following some of the tips we’ve provided for you.
Here are some essential aftercare tips to follow after getting eyelash extensions:
The First 24 Hours
After your eyelash extensions are applied, it’s essential to avoid getting them wet for at least 24 hours. Water can weaken the adhesive bond, causing the extensions to fall out prematurely. Try to avoid swimming, taking a shower, any steamy environment like a sauna or washing your face during this time.
Also try not to sleep on your face as it can cause the extensions to become misshapen.
As we said earlier it’s important to follow a few steps to ensure the safety of your lash extensions shortly after you get them applied, but what’s more important is looking after them in the long run to make sure they are healthy and clean. In order to maintain your eyelash extensions, we’ve made a small list of what you should and should not do when it comes to the daily maintenance of your eyelash extensions.
- Brush your lashes daily with a clean spoolie brush to keep them looking neat and tidy, by brushing and cleaning your lashes regularly, you can keep them looking neat and uniform, giving you the best possible results from your eyelash extension application.
- Avoid using oil-based makeup products or removers, as they can break down the adhesive.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes or tugging at your lashes, as this can cause damage.
- Avoid using mascara on your eyelash extensions, as it can clump and damage the lashes.
- Avoid using cotton pads or swabs near your eyes, as they can catch on the extensions and cause them to fall out.
- If you must use eye makeup, opt for water-based products and remove them gently with a clean spoolie or a specialized lash cleanser.
- If you have to use glasses make sure they don’t touch your lashes.
- Get touch-ups every 2-3 weeks to maintain the fullness of your lashes.
- Avoid using eyelash curlers, as they can damage the extensions.
- If you notice any discomfort or redness, consult your lash technician immediately.
- Avoid picking or pulling at your extensions, as it can cause them to fall out prematurely.
practicing proper eyelash extension aftercare is crucial for maintaining the health of your natural lashes and the longevity of your extensions.
By taking the necessary steps to prevent damage, extend the life of your extensions, maintain hygiene, and keep your lashes looking great, you can ensure that your eyelash extensions continue to enhance your natural beauty for weeks to come.
Here Are Some Common Questions
Can I wear mascara with eyelash extensions?
You should not wear mascara with eyelash extensions since it damages your lashes and makes them clump together.
How often should I brush my eyelash extensions?
You should brush your eyelash extensions daily to keep them looking neat and tidy.
Can I use oil-based makeup remover with eyelash extensions?
No, using oil-based makeup can cause the adhesive that glues the synthetic lashes to your natural eyelashes to breakdown and therefore your lash extensions to fall out.
Can I swim with eyelash extensions?
You should avoid getting your eyelash extensions wet for the first 24 hours after application.
After that, you can swim, but you should avoid rubbing your eyes or tugging at your lashes.
Can I get eyelash extensions if I have sensitive eyes?
If you have sensitive eyes, you should consult your lash technician before getting eyelash extensions to ensure that you are not allergic to the adhesive.
Can I wear false lashes with eyelash extensions?
It’s not recommended to wear false lashes on top of eyelash extensions, as they can cause damage and weigh down the extensions.
Can I use a lash serum with eyelash extensions?
It’s best to avoid using lash serums on top of eyelash extensions, as they can interfere with the adhesive and cause the extensions to fall out prematurely.
Can I wear contact lenses with eyelash extensions?
Yes, you can wear contact lenses with eyelash extensions, but it’s important to be gentle when removing and applying them to avoid tugging at your lashes.
Can I use a lash curler with eyelash extensions?
It’s best to avoid using a lash curler with eyelash extensions, as it can damage the extensions and cause them to fall out prematurely.
How do I remove my eyelash extensions?
It’s recommended to have your eyelash extensions professionally removed by your lash technician to avoid damaging your natural lashes.
Trying to remove them yourself can result in harm to your natural lashes.